Saturday, April 28, 2012

Tears in Heaven? Heck NO! Tears in Walmart

Today I was cold. I had to go over to Walmart to watch the child sing. Yeah I went to Walmart where my child performed in the women's clothing department. It tops one of the strangest things I have ever done for my children. So here I am in the Walmart tearing up, eyes swollen with pride next to the rotisserie heat of the chickens. Uncomfortable on so many levels.  So for dinner tonight I needed to be comforted , I was cold and embarrassed and ashamed for crying at Walmart. I stopped over at the 7 Grains and was pleasantly surprised to find the coconut Flour was 7.99 for a pound. I am going to give you my opinion on Almond meal versus Coconut flour. I used almond meal over coconut flour in my early Primal cooking. I wasn't very fond of the gritty feel its gives the food. I have made some pretty good bread out of it though . One of the the first meals I made was almond meal pancakes , everyone liked them okay but I haven't made them since. The reason is because I did not like them. I thought they were heavy and gritty tasting and did not taste like real pancakes at all.  So today I decided to try and make coconut flour pancakes. These were delicious , they were lighter , thinner and just oh so tasty.  Thanks to the Husband tonight for doing most of the cooking. He is the breakfast cook. Up at 05:00 am yelling at us to wake up for coffee and breakfast. He is my champ. I am not a morning person. He would argue I am not a night person either.  I didn't take any pictures because I was hungry so I ate. No time to fool around. Here is the recipe I used .


Coconut Flour Pancakes 

Ingredients
  • 4 eggs, room temperature - No time for Room temp crack those babies cold.
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon  (coconut sap) - I dont know what this is and I cant afford it (stevia used)
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt 
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • coconut oil for frying - OR BUTTER AND BUTTER IS ALWAYS BETTER.
Instructions
  1. Preheat pan or griddle over medium-low heat. Beat eggs in a stand mixer until frothy. Mix in milk, vanilla, and coconut nectar.
  2. In a small bowl combine coconut flour, baking soda, sea salt and cinnamon and whisk together.
  3. Combine dry mixture with wet in the stand mixer and beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl then mix on medium to medium-high for another minute or two or until the coconut flour is completely mixed into the batter.
  4. Grease pan with coconut oil. Pour batter to create pancakes that are about 3 inches in diameter. If the batter seems too thin you may need to add a small amout of coconut flour to achieve the desired consistency.
  5. Cook for approximately 3 minutes, flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
  6. Serve hot with coconut oil, coconut nectar, agave nectar, honey, syrup or fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment